22.5.07

because we are a stiff-necked people....

because we are a stiff-necked people we need God in our midst.

in Exodus 34, after the incident of the Golden Calf, God re-iterates his promises that he made in Exodus 20. But there are things that He leaves out. In Exodus 20 God says 'I will punish you if you worship other gods, but I will show steadfast love if you keep my commandments.'

in Exodus 34 God simply says (and note the reversal of order) 'I am steadfast in love, slow to anger and abounding in mercy to the thousands, visiting the iniquity of the children to the third and fourth generation'

two things to say here. firstly God's mercy is not reliant on my faithfulness (BIG sigh of relief), after the incident of the Golden Calf the mention of 'other gods' is mysteriously missing, and secondly - God's judgment is limited to the household (third and fourth generation), whereas God's blessing is showered on the thousands.

it reminds me of the children's song:

Our God is a great big God
Our God is a great big Go-d
Our God is a great big God
and he holds us in his haaaaands

No comments: